The proposal is being funded! Thank you to JISC and the SWORD V2 project. Read their announcement about it here.
The basic idea is as follows:
- Many teachers use Word or Open Office to create their lessons and educational material. And many are eager and willing to share.
- Connexions is a great place to share educational materials because it is easy to reuse.
- You can combine pieces to create whole textbooks and courses.
- Connexions makes it available on the web, in print, for mobile phones, and for ebook readers.
- If you change one bit, Connexions remakes the book, the ebook, the web view, etc.
- If someone wants to adapt your content (change the examples, translate it), they can make a copy and publish their changes and you still get credit for inspiring the new adaptation.
- But, the word processing documents have to be converted to Connexions format first.
And developers can help make better versions of this tool without knowing a whole lot about how Connexions software works. Just how SWORD (and the OERPub API variant) work.